Friday, November 16, 2007

Resemblances

A lot has been said about DNA lately in the genealogy world, and how it will be the wave of the future for documentation of family members. I personally don't agree with that theory. I think
written documents will continue to be the "proof" that genealogists seek and rely on. However, genetic makeup does have its place in the family puzzles we are all trying to solve.
Some time ago while searching for Millikin ancestors, I found a book at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City full of the Millikin surname. As I searched through the book, I happened upon a picture that blatantly shouted, This person is related to you somehow." The man in the photograph looked so much like my dad that it was almost eerie. The name under the picture was Col. James Millikin. As I continued my perusal of this book, I could not make a connection and have yet to do so; thus, my search for Richard Millikin and his origin. I have posted this picture along the right side of my blog along with a picture of my dad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Col. James Millikin was an officer of the NC Regiment in the early to mid-1700's. He was a landowner of significant acreage in Halifax and possibly Bertie Counties.

Anonymous said...

I ran across your blog on West Carroll Parish, La. today. I was at the Millikin Cemetery up near the Arkansas line on Sunday. Is that the area where your Millikin's lived? I wanted to make contact with you.. I do research for East Carroll Parish.. even though I live in central Arkansas now I try to get home every once in a while. I was out taking pics of the cemetery. I love your West Carroll blog. Sandy


Who are these people?

Sally Jo Gibson sent me this picture of the "Old Floyd" Courthouse, but didn't know who the people were. If anyone knows who they are, please let the rest of us know. Just post a reply.

Old Floyd Courthouse

Old Floyd Courthouse

Buildings in Old Floyd

Buildings in Old Floyd